HOARE MONUMENT IN THE CHURCHYARD ABOUT 13 METRES SOUTH EAST OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1131095

Date first listed: 09-Sep-1987

Statutory Address: HOARE MONUMENT IN THE CHURCHYARD ABOUT 13 METRES SOUTH EAST OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST PETER, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOARE MONUMENT IN THE CHURCHYARD ABOUT 13 METRES SOUTH EAST OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131095 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 08:00:46.

Location

Statutory Address: HOARE MONUMENT IN THE CHURCHYARD ABOUT 13 METRES SOUTH EAST OF CHANCEL OF CHURCH OF ST PETER, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Stourton with Gasper

National Grid Reference: ST 77665 33951

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STOURTON WITH GASPER HIGH STREET ST 73 SE (south side) 6/136 Hoare monument in the churchyard about 13 metres south east of chancel of Church of St Peter GV II Chest tomb in mausoleum. Dated 1819 on inscription, to Richard Colt Hoare died 1838. Limestone ashlar mausoleum in Gothic style with diagonal buttresses, Tudor-arched openings on north, east and west sides, blind arch to south, cornice to parapet with pierced cusped triangles and corner pinnacles, three heraldic shields on north side over door. Roof removed. Interior south wall has bronze plaque with names of members of Hoare family and restored carved spread eagle, their crest; against this wall is small marble chest tomb with antifixae and weathered top, Latin inscription to Ricardus (sic) Colt Hoare died 1838. The chest tomb was ordered from Florence 1819. Colt Hoare was an important Wiltshire antiquarian, published a History of Wiltshire in five volumes, 1822-1837, he also extended Stourhead House (q.v.). (K. Woodbridge, The Stourhead Landscape, 1982)

Listing NGR: ST7766533942

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 321242

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Woodbridge, K , The Stourhead Landscape, (1982)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 46 Wiltshire,

End of official listing