CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1131168

Date first listed: 06-Jan-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131168 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 05:29:59.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: East Knoyle

National Grid Reference: ST 88021 30532

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EAST KNOYLE CHURCH ROAD ST 83 SE (north side) 8/8 Church of St Mary 6.1.66 GV I Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, 1845 restoration by Wyatt and Brandon, 1876 by A.W. Blomfield, tower restored 1893 by P. Webb. Rubble stone and dressed limestone, stone slate roof to nave, tiled chancel roof. West tower, nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south organ chamber, south porch. Gabled south porch with diagonal buttress, C14 double chamfered pointed opening with compound pilasters. Nave has C19 three-light Perpendicular-style window to left, two 2-light square-headed C15 windows to clerestory. Double gabled aisle, west half added 1845, has two C19 plate tracery windows, coped verges. Organ chamber of 1876 has 2- light plate tracery windows, Burbridge wall tablet with broken pediment on east wall. C12 chancel has two C13 lancets on north and south walls, north wall also has blocked doorway and traces of C12 round-arched blind arcading, C15 five-light Perpendicular east window. North aisle, double gabled with west half added 1829, has pair of C14 cusped lancets and unidentified oval wall tablet on east wall, two 2-light cusped pointed windows on north and C19 ashlar stack and trefoil to west. Lean-to vestry has square-headed windows. C15 square-headed clerestory window. Large C15 three- stage tower has moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses, wide C15 moulded west doorway with lozenge terminals to hoodmould, tall 3- light Perpendicular window over, bellstage divided into two floors on west with two 2-light square-headed windows and one square- headed window to other sides, south side also has two crocketed image niches, integral polygonal stair turret on south east corner, string course with gargoyles to battlemented parapet. Interior. Porch has doorway to aisle, moulded Tudor-arched door to nave. Nave has 5-bay C19 king-post roof with braced collars. Tower with stone fan-vaulted ceiling with cusps and bell hatch, pointed tower arch filled with Cl9 screen. North and south aisles have 2-bay arcades of continuously chamfered arches, collar rafter roofs. Neo-Norman chancel arch with zig-zag moulded round arch, chancel has late C19 three-bay rib-panelled roof, 2-seat sedilia and piscina with trefoil heads on south wall, Minton tiled reredos, exceptional plasterwork by Robert Brockway for Dean Christopher Wren, c1639, depicting biblical scenes such as Jacob's Dream and the Ascension with texts in panels with strapwork decoration, strapwork friezes. Fittings: C17 altar table and C17 polygonal pulpit reset on C19 stone base, C13 octagonal stone font with foliage carving. Early C19 brass candelabra in chancel. Stained glass east window to Seymour family. Two benefactions boards on north wall of nave. Six bells of 1726, 1748, 1794 and 1839, rehung 1933. Monuments: Grey marble table in chancel to Elizabeth Seymour died 1742 with pediment and urn in keyed oculus. Various classical tablets to Still family of Clouds, 1701-1832. Classical C19 marbles in nave, for example to Folliot family of Knoyle Down by Osmond of Sarum and to Burleton family of Wyken Hall, Leicestershire by King of London. Dean Christopher Wren, the father of Sir Christopher Wren was rector here 1623-1646, he commissioned the plasterwork in the chancel which was used in evidence against him at a trial at Longford Castle 1647. (VCH, Wiltshire, Vol XI, 1980; Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine, Vol 57, 1960; R. Sherlock, Chandeliers in Wiltshire Churches)

Listing NGR: ST8802030532

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 321114

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Crowley, B A, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1980)
Sherlock, R , Chandeliers in Wiltshire Churches
'Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine' in Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine, , Vol. 57, (1960)

End of official listing