CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1131173

Date first listed: 06-Jan-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, HIGHER PERTWOOD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131173 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 19:47:43.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, HIGHER PERTWOOD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Chicklade

National Grid Reference: ST 88877 35811

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EAST KNOYLE HIGHER PERTWOOD ST 83 NE (west side) 5/17 Church of St Peter 6.1.66 GV II Anglican parish church, now closed. C13, restored 1812, rebuilt 1872. Flint rubble stone with limestone dressings, tiled with fishscale tile bands and coped verges. Nave and chancel under one roof, north aisle, south porch, west bellcote. Gabled south porch, partly timber-framed, nave and chancel to right have three 2-light pointed windows with cusped lights, buttresses with offsets. East end has 2-light C19 window in geometric style, set back buttresses, coped verge with cross finial. North side of chancel and north aisle of 1872 completely ivy-covered at time of survey (August 1986) and no details visible. West end has gabled bellcote. Interior not accessible at time of survey; photographs in NMR. C19 roof trusses to 2-bay chancel and 2-bay nave, continuously chamfered chancel arch, 2-bay C13-style north arcade. Some fittings removed, but said to retain pews and wall tablets to Sheldon family, floor tablets to Mervyn family. C14 piscina with moulded pointed arch with hoodmould with mask terminal to right. Chapel probably here from C12, annexed as a chapel of ease to Chicklade in 1899. In very poor condition at time of survey; part of roof fallen in. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 8, 1965; NMR photographic collection)

Listing NGR: ST8887735811

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 321123

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
Pugh, RB, Crittall, E, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1965)

End of official listing