Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1131176

Date first listed: 09-Sep-1987



Ordnance survey map of UPPER LEIGH FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131176 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 10:11:08.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: East Knoyle

National Grid Reference: ST 88591 29470


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


EAST KNOYLE LEIGH LANE ST 82 NE (east side) 10/27 Upper Leigh Farmhouse GV II Farmhouse. C16, altered late C17 and late C19. Rubble stone and dressed limestone, tiled roof, ashlar or brick stacks. T-plan. Two-storey, 3-window west front. Chamfered Tudor-arched doorway with planked door to left of centre, 3-light recessed chamfered mullioned casement to left and 2-light to right, cross wing to right has 3-light mullioned casement. Raised eaves to first floor; two 3-light mullioned casements, cross wing to right has 2-light mullioned casement to first and attic floors, coped verges. Left return has single leaded light to attic. Right return has 2-light mullioned casements to gable end. Cross wing to right, extended 1891 has C19 two-light mullioned casements to ground and first floors, C19 door to left, lateral stone stack with moulded capping. Rear has lean-to extension with Tudor-arched doorway within, 2- light mullioned casements, rear of wing and C17 stair turret has similar windows. Interior has deep chamfered beam with stops and open fireplace with deeply chamfered lintel in kitchen to left of entrance. Cross wing has good late C17 dog-leg stairs with turned balusters to closed string, square newels with ball finials. Parlour to right of entrance has fitted cupboards with fielded panelled doors, moulded plaster ceiling cornice. Joinery includes planked doors and doors with 6 panels in moulded architraves. C17 three-bay roof with cambered collars. Property of Corpus Christi College, Oxford, from 1550 to 1875, when acquired by the Seymour family. (VCH, Wiltshire, Vol XI, 1980)

Listing NGR: ST8859129470


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 321133

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Crowley, B A, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1980)

End of official listing