ROBINSONS GATEWAYS AND ARCHWAY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1131180

Date first listed: 16-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Jul-1986

Statutory Address: ROBINSONS GATEWAYS AND ARCHWAY HOUSE, ELM HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROBINSONS GATEWAYS AND ARCHWAY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131180 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 04:09:03.

Location

Statutory Address: ROBINSONS GATEWAYS AND ARCHWAY HOUSE, ELM HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Askrigg

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

National Grid Reference: SD 94906 91085

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASKRIGG ELM HILL SD 99 SW (west side) 19/3 Robinson's Gateways and Archway House (formerly 16.1.52 listed as Archway House) GV II 2 archways, one now blocked to form house. Early - mid C18. Ashlar and coursed rubble, stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 2 first-floor windows. 2 tall carriage arches of rubble voussoirs with ashlar keystones resting on chamfered rusticated pilasters with cornices. Within central pilasters, a 4-panel door and, above, a 6-pane sash window in ashlar surround. Right- hand archway blocked, with 3-light flat-faced mullion window in ashlar surround on ground floor and 6-pane sash window above. Built before 1755, formerly with doors in the arches and with a postern between them, giving access to the Wool Room and the stables in Lodge Yard (qv). Hartley M and Ingilby J, Yorkshire Village (1969), pp 121, 125.

Listing NGR: SD9490691085

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 323025

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hartley, M, Ingilby, J, Yorkshire Village, (1979), 121-125

End of official listing