This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WEST MILL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WEST MILL

List entry Number: 1131191

Location

WEST MILL, MILL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Askrigg

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Jul-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 323047

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASKRIGG MILL LANE SD 99 SW 19/25 West Mill - II Watermill. Early-mid C19. Rubble, stone slate roof. 3 storeys, one first- floor opening, L-shaped plan. Gable end elevation: slab quoins, projecting through-stones. Ground floor: doorway to wheel-chamber. Interior: overshot waterwheel with timber spokes, buckets and sole plate, iron hubs and shrouds. Iron pitwheel. Some of wooden framework for iron-grinding mechanism. Metal shafting for belt-drives. Corn-drying kiln in ground floor of wing. Waterwheel formerly fed by zinc elevated pentrough supported on rubble piers. Formerly a corn mill (3 mill-stones in or near building), latterly a saw mill, specialising in the manufacture of hay rakes. In 1908 the corn miller, William Burton, built an electricity-generating plant at Mill Gill Falls, the source of West Mill's water, which supplied electric light to the village until 1948. Hartley M and Ingilby J, Yorkshire Village (1979), p 195.

Listing NGR: SD9433991192

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hartley, M, Ingilby, J, Yorkshire Village, (1979), 195

National Grid Reference: SD 94339 91192

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131191 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 02:20:15.

End of official listing