MARKET CROSS AND STOCKS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1131302

Date first listed: 04-Dec-1987

Statutory Address: MARKET CROSS AND STOCKS, VILLAGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MARKET CROSS AND STOCKS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131302 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 07:16:50.

Location

Statutory Address: MARKET CROSS AND STOCKS, VILLAGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Newsham

National Grid Reference: NZ1058810011

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 11 SW NEWSHAM VILLAGE STREET (south side)

2/107 Market cross and stocks

GV II

Cross and stocks. C16 cross restored 1828 and 1935, stocks 1828. Ashlar sandstone cross. Wrought-iron stocks. Cross: 3 square steps supporting octagonal base, with monolithic tapering shaft and C20 cap inscribed "RSTD 1828 1935". Metal spike on top, braced in position by 4 brackets. Immediately to east, pink granite boulder on the top of which are wrought- iron shackles, with hinge and lock, incorporating 3 larger holes and one smaller hole. Newsham had an important market in Tudor and Stuart times. T Bulmer, History, Topography and Directory of North Yorkshire, (1890), p 468: "Near the end of the street is an old stone cross, which was repaired by subscription in 1828; at the same time, the old wooden stocks, which stood close by, were replaced by iron ones; and this obsolete instrument of correction is still in good preservation".

Listing NGR: NZ1058810011

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 322808

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bulmer, T, History Topography and Directory of North Yorkshire, (1890), 468

End of official listing