THE OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL AND GRAMMAR SCHOOL HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL AND RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1131319

Date first listed: 19-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Dec-1987

Statutory Address: THE OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL AND GRAMMAR SCHOOL HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL AND RAILINGS, VILLAGE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL AND GRAMMAR SCHOOL HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL AND RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131319 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 21:15:13.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL AND GRAMMAR SCHOOL HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL AND RAILINGS, VILLAGE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Kirby Hill

National Grid Reference: NZ 14037 06576

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 1406-1506 KIRBY HILL VILLAGE GREEN (north side)

18/48 The Old Grammar School and Grammar School House (formerly listed as The Master's House and The 19.12.51 Grammar School) and attached wall and railings

GV II*

School and Hospital, later School and Master's House, the School partly converted into a holiday flat, the Master's House now a house; attached wall and railings. Main range c1556, for Rev John Dakyn, with early C18 addition to house, early C19 wall and railings. Rubble, partly coursed; stone slate roofs; wrought-iron railings. Main range: 2 storeys with partial attic and partial basement; 2-bay Master's House to left with C18 front range and with entry in left return; 3-bay school on right. Elevation to The Green: Master's House, to left, C18 range of coursed rubble with quoins and 16-pane sash windows in ashlar surrounds, formerly with flat-faced mullions; between the first-floor windows a sundial; shaped kneelers; ashlar coping; end stacks. Recessed to left of house: single-storey porch with quoins to left, board door and ashlar coping to left. School has, from left: blocked ashlar surround of doorway; board door in ashlar surround with 6-pane window over, and first-floor 3-light mullion window with round-arched lights and indented spandrels; 16-pane ground-floor sash window in ashlar surround with blocked fire window to its right, and on first floor a chamfered vent and 2-light matching mullion window with the school bell above; external stack with cornice and C19 stable of 2 lower storeys projecting from it and not of special interest. In front of house, low wall of coursed rubble with canted coping, supporting plain railings with pointed bars; the wall rises in height and has triangular coping to curve round and return to school to right, sweeping up towards school. Rear: quoins to left and ashlar coping to right; projecting gabled stair turret with blocked first-floor vent on right return; blocked basement 2-light round-arched mullion window; stepped buttress; ground-floor 2-light chamfered mullion window with internal stanchions; 2 first-floor chamfered vents; stepped buttress; ground-floor 2-light chamfered mullion window with internal stanchions; ground-floor 16-pane fixed-light window in ashlar surround; first-floor 4-light mullion window with round-arched lights and indented spandrels; 16-pane sash dormer window; ground-floor 2-light chamfered mullion window; ground-floor 2-light chamfered mullion window below C19 sash window with. glazing bars to staircase; 2-light first-floor mullion window with round-arched lights and indented spandrels; 16-pane ground-floor sash window in ashlar surround; round-arched ground-floor window, and above it a pedimented surround to a tablet inscribed in commemoration of Rev Robert Blackett of Durham d1829, above that a 4-pane sash window in early C18 ashlar surround, and above that a 16-pane sash window; ashlar coping; end stack. Right return (school): stepped buttresses flank a C20 20-pane sash window on each floor, with 4-pane fixed-light window in surround of 2-light chamfered mullion window in gable. Right return (house): door of 6 fielded panels below 4-pane overlight in ashlar surround; first-floor, 16-pane sash window. Left return (house): to C18 range, 2 ground-floor round-arched windows; to C16 range, single-storey porch built around external stack which is extended on corbels at first-floor level. Interior: house has doors and doorlinings of 6 fielded panels; recess in room to front left was probably the original doorway; early C19 dogleg staircase with stick balusters and turned newels: in the stair turret at the rear of the School, winder staircase. The School and blaster's House were founded, with the Hospital of St John the Baptist, by Rev John Dakyn DD, rector of the parish and one of Henry VIII's Commissioners who inquired into the income of the religious houses, also one of Queen Mary's persecutors of Protestant martyrs. T Bulmer, History, Topography and Directory of North Yorkshire, (1890), pp 466-467; VCH i, p 97, W White, History, Gazetteer and Directory of the East and North Ridings of Yorkshire, (1840), pp 651-652.

Listing NGR: NZ1403706578

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 322749

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bulmer, T, History Topography and Directory of North Yorkshire, (1890), 466 467
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 97
'Whites Directory' in History Gazetteer and Directory of the East and North Ridings of Yorkshire, (1840), 651 652

End of official listing