DAKYN HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1131325

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Dec-1987

Statutory Address: DAKYN HOUSE, VILLAGE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of DAKYN HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131325 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 01:47:04.

Location

Statutory Address: DAKYN HOUSE, VILLAGE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Kirby Hill

National Grid Reference: NZ 13975 06532

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 1306 KIRBY HILL VILLAGE GREEN (south side) 17/61 Dakyn House (formerly listed as John Dakin's Almshouse)

4.2.69

GV II

Hospital of St John the Baptist, now almshouses. Dated 1754. Founded by Rev John Dakyn, DD. Coursed rubble, stone slate roofs. Double-depth plan. 2 and 1 storeys, 4 bays to the Green. Quoins at ends and left of second bay. All openings have C20 ashlar architraves, the windows mostly 3-light mullion. From left: a window on each floor; board door with single-light window above; a window on each floor; C20 plaque with present name, and above it a circular plaque inscribed "Built by Tho. Buckton, Fra. Allen 1754"; ground-floor window; board door; ground-floor window. Rebuilt stacks at ends and centre. 2-span roof. The hospital was founded by Rev John Dakyn, DD, at the same time as the Grammar School (qv). The hospital originally accommodated 27 inmates, reduced to 12 men and 12 women in 1803 when the building was extended, and was converted into a smaller number of flats in the 1950s. T Bulmer, History, Topography and Directory of North Yorkshire, (1890), pp 466-467; VCH i, p 97; W White, History, Gazetteer and Directory of the East and North Ridings of Yorkshire, (1840), pp 651-652.

Listing NGR: NZ1398106534

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 322762

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bulmer, T, History Topography and Directory of North Yorkshire, (1890), 466 467
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 97
'Whites Directory' in History Gazetteer and Directory of the East and North Ridings of Yorkshire, (1840), 651 652

End of official listing