THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1131328

Date first listed: 04-Dec-1987

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131328 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 22:40:21.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Marske

National Grid Reference: NZ 10422 00511

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 10 SW MARSKE MARSKE

9/71 The Old Rectory

GV II

Parsonage, now house. 1753 with later additions. For John Hutton of Marske. Coursed rubble sandstone, stone slate roofs. 2 storeys, 1:3:2 bays. Main house in centre: quoins to left. Central part-glazed 3-panel door in chamfered ashlar architrave with bases. Sash windows in ashlar surrounds, of 4 panes on first floor. Eaves band. Shaped kneeler and ashlar coping to left. End stack to left. Lower bay to left, with quoins to left and a 4-pane sash window on each floor. To right, early C19 addition, projecting forward, with quoins to left, canted bay window on ground floor, 4-pane sashes above; ashlar coping, brick end stacks. Rear of main house: small windows on ground floor; first-floor sash windows with glazing bars. Left return of C19 addition: leaved part-glazed door in C20 classical wooden surround. Right return: leaved 4-panel door below 2-pane overlight in C20 classical wooden surround. The Marske Parish Registers record that the Parsonage House was built in 1753 at a cost of £135. The addition to the right was built by the occupying curate, Mr Hicks, to accommodate boarders whom he taught preparatory to their entering Richmond School whose headmaster, Rev James Tate, was also Rector of Marske 1808- 1833. (L P Wenham, The History of Richmond School, (1958), fn p 74.)

Listing NGR: NZ1042200511

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 322772

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Wenham, WP, The History of Richmond School, (1958), 74

End of official listing