This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1131360

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Cleasby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 322648

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLEASBY CLEASBY NZ 21 SW 4/9 Church of St Peter 18.3.68

GV II

Church. Rebuilt, incorporating some earlier fabric, in 1828, restored and refitted 1878. Sandstone ashlar, Westmorland slate roofs. 4-bay nave with west porch and bellcote, 2-bay chancel with north vestry. Nave: stepped buttresses at ends and centre; two 2-light pointed-arched windows with Y-tracery and hoodmoulds; eaves band; ashlar coping; 2-light gabled west belfry. North side of older fabric, cobbled, and with some carved stones; 2 matching windows. West end: stepped buttresses flanking gabled porch with board leaved door in pointed-arched opening under hoodmould and similar inner doorway having Y-traceried, leaded overlight, band at eaves level; blind quatrefoil in gable. Chancel: 1 matching window, eaves band, ashlar coping to right; 3-light matching east window. Interior: 4-centred double- chamfered chancel arch with label on octagonal responds; early C20 ashlar low chancel screen incorporating pulpit and reading desk, all pierced with Gothic tracery; ashlar walls to chancel; scissor-truss roofs; retooled C13 font on newer plinth, having square bowl with roll moulding at angles and edges, and on each face a quatrefoil; on south wall of nave, tablet recording augmentation of perpetual curacy under Queen Anne's Bounty in 1816, also by John Robinson, Lord Bishop of London, who was born in Cleasby; in south window of chancel, C18 yellow enamelled glass, formerly in the west window of Bristol Cathedral, inserted there in 1710 in memory of John Robinson, Bishop of Bristol, and moved to Cleasby in 1906. VCH i, pp 158- 159.

Listing NGR: NZ2491913074

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bulmer, T, History Topography and Directory of North Yorkshire, (1890), 358
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 123
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 150-4

National Grid Reference: NZ 24919 13074

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131360 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 01:00:16.

End of official listing