THE OLD RECTORY AND SCREEN WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1131370

Date first listed: 19-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Jan-1988

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY AND SCREEN WALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY AND SCREEN WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131370 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 22:59:29.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY AND SCREEN WALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Croft-on-Tees

National Grid Reference: NZ 28785 09849

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CROFT-ON-TEES MONKEND NZ 2809-2909 (west side) 10/36 The Old Rectory and attached screen wall 19.12.51 (formerly listed as 'Rectory')

GV II

Rectory, now house, and attached screen wall. Early C18, probably with earlier origins, and with later additions. Orange brick, Westmorland slate roofs. Irregular plan of later rear additions, main range of 3 storeys, 5 bays. Central part-glazed door in ashlar architrave set within surround with swept bases, and with consoles supporting dentilled pediment. Sash windows with glazing bars, crown glass, exposed sash boxes, and flat arches of contrasting gauged brick, the second-floor windows of 6 panes. First- and second-floor string courses. Hipped roof. Stacks between second and third bays and at right end. To left, 2-storey lean-to elevation of added side range, with no openings to front. To right: single-storey curving screen wall. Rear elevation: obscured by later service additions. Right return: of same red sandstone as Croft Church (qv) and with blocked sash- window-shaped openings. Interior: windows have shutters; ground-floor doors of 6 fielded panels; early C18 pine open-well staircase with richly-turned balusters and swept handrail; first-floor doors of 6 vertical panels. There are cellars below the right-hand rooms, which may be part of an earlier building. Scratched on the glass of a rear second-floor window are mirror- image graffiti which are thought to have inspired Alice Through the Looking Glass by "Lewis Carroll", whose father, Rev Charles Dodgson, was Rector of Croft 1843-1868.

Listing NGR: NZ2879009849

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 322675

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing