This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NEW HOUSE, FARMHOUSE AND OUTBUILDINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NEW HOUSE, FARMHOUSE AND OUTBUILDINGS

List entry Number: 1131417

Location

NEW HOUSE, FARMHOUSE AND OUTBUILDINGS, B6160

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bishopdale

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 322482

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BISHOPDALE B 6160 SD 98 SE (north-west side, off) 5/2 New House, farmhouse and outbuildings 25.3.69 - II

Marked as West New Houses on 6" Ordnance Survey map. Farmhouse and outbuildings under one roof. Dated 1635. For Christopher Clough. Rubble, stone slate roofs. House: T-shaped plan, 2 storeys, 4 first-floor windows with single-storey rear projection. In third bay, board door in ogee- moulded ashlar surround with triangular head set in square, quatrefoils in spandrels and, above, inscription "CEC 1635". Double-chamfered mullion windows, on ground floor with hollow moulding to inner chamfer and 3 and 5 lights to left of door and 4 lights to right, all under continuous hoodmould; on first floor of 3 lights except for single light with ogee head aver door. Eaves have been raised. Right return: chamfered round-headed fire window on ground floor, and chamfered straight-headed single-light window on first floor, also hints of older lower, steeper roof slope. To left of house, 2-storey, 3-bay outbuilding with, from right: barn doors with chamfered quoined jambs, timber lintel and segmental arch; chamfered surround to stable door; small window; steps up to board door to hayloft; board leaved doors. The oldest dated house in Bishopdale, originally thatched. North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report No 605.

Listing NGR: SD9653483669

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report' in North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report, , Vol. 605, ()

National Grid Reference: SD 96534 83669

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131417 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 04:56:52.

End of official listing