ST CLARE'S BUILDING AT ST JOHN OF GOD HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1131464

Date first listed: 03-Jul-1987

Statutory Address: ST CLARE'S BUILDING AT ST JOHN OF GOD HOSPITAL, HOSPITAL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST CLARE'S BUILDING AT ST JOHN OF GOD HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131464 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 04:51:57.

Location

Statutory Address: ST CLARE'S BUILDING AT ST JOHN OF GOD HOSPITAL, HOSPITAL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Scorton

National Grid Reference: NZ 25242 00247

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SCORTON HOSPITAL ROAD NZ 20 SE (south side) 7/76 St Clare's Building at St John of God Hospital

GV II

Convent. c1845 or earlier. For the Religious Order of Poor Clare's. Brick with ashlar openings, Welsh slate roof. Irregular L-shaped plan, the ranges set back from each other and with narrow bay in the angle so formed. Jacobethan style. 2 storeys and attics, 3 uneven bays to both main ranges. West elevation: windows of chamfered-mullion type with pointed-arched lights; in first bay, on ground floor, 3-light mullion-and-transom window; on first floor, 3-light Tudor-arched window with intersecting tracery. In second and third bays, single-light and 2-light windows respectively. Gables above first and second bays, with pointed-arched niche containing statue of St Clare, and gable cross. Shaped ashlar kneelers, raised verges with ashlar coping. Entry in left (north) return of this range: board door in Tudor-arched doorway. South elevation of northern range: on ground floor, mullion-and-transom windows of 3 , 5 and 3 lights; on first floor, mullion windows of 2 , 3 and 2 lights. 3 later dormers in roof. The Poor Clare's lived in a mansion on the site now occupied by the St John of God Hospital (built 1912), and very unusually ran a school for Roman Catholic girls, perhaps in this building, before moving to Darlington c1850. Taken over by the Order of St John of God in 1880. VCH i, p 303.

Listing NGR: NZ2524200247

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 322389

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 303

End of official listing