This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1131481



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Brough with St. Giles

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 322319

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE 29 NW 4/9 Catterick Bridge 4.2.69


Bridge. 1422, probably rebuilt 1565-90, much repaired C17, widened 1792. Older bridge for William de Burgh of Brough Hall (qv), widening by John Carr of York. Sandstone ashlar. 3 arches separated by triangular cutwaters with hollow-chamfered tops sweeping up to canted pedestrian retreats. Band. Parapets with triangular coping terminating in circular bollards, the downstream parapet curving outwards in plan. Older bridge exposed on upstream side: central 2 arches of 2 slightly-pointed chamfered orders, outer arches semicircular and faced with C18 stonework. Undersides of earlier arches bear masons' marks. The Carr bridge on downstream side: 3 semicircular arches and 1 segmental arch, with torus archivolts. Small barrel-vaulted chamber in spandrel adjacent to southernmost arch on downstream side. The contract for building the bridge survives in the County Record Office. There was a chantry chapel, dedicated to St Anne, founded in 1505, on the south-east side of the medieval bridge. Part of downstream parapet dismantled at time of resurvey. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument. Partly in the parish of Brompton-on-Swale. E Jervoise, Ancient Bridges of The North of England, (1931), p 87. York Georgian Society, The Works in Architecture of John Carr (1973), p 6; VCH i, p 301.

Listing NGR: SE2274499329

Selected Sources

Books and journals
The Works in Architecture of John Carr, (1973), 6
Jervoise, E , The Ancient Bridges in the North of England, (1931), 87
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 301

National Grid Reference: SE 22744 99329


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131481 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 06:22:59.

End of official listing