CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1131521

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1969

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131521 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 17:45:35.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Bolton-on-Swale

National Grid Reference: SE 25239 99168

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOLTON-ON-SWALE BOLTON-ON-SWALE SE 29 NE 5/6 Church of Saint Mary 4.2.69

GV II*

Church. C14, C15 and C16, restored 1857. Restoration by G Fowler Jones. Rubble with ashlar dressings, Westmorland slate roof. West tower, 3-bay nave with aisles, south porch and north chapel, 3-bay chancel with organ chamber and vestry to north. Tower: late C16. 3 stages. Diagonal buttresses to west with carving to offsets. Stair turret in south-east corner with light vents. Ground-floor west window: 3 trefoil-headed lights below semicircular head with tracery in spandrels; label with head stops; double-chamfered jambs. Light vents to north, west and south of ringing chamber, Clock to west. Belfry openings: crossed cinquefoil-headed lights with continuous decorated lintels, with hood-moulds. Ashlar battlements with coats of arms. Porch: C19, gabled. Doorway of 2 chamfered orders. Inner doorway: C14. Pointed arch, chamfered; label with large smiling heads on stops. Aisle windows: C19; 2-lights with cinquefoil heads under segmental arches. Flat-headed 3-light trefoil-headed east window with reticulated tracery. Clerestory windows: C19 paired lights. Chancel: C15. C17 chamfered, quoined, flat-headed priest's door, flanked by flat-headed 3- light cinquefoiled windows. C19 3-light east window with reticulated tracery. Vestry: hollow-chamfered, flat-headed, single-light east window. C19 kneelers, coping and gable crosses. Interior: early C14 3-bay south arcade, with double-chamfered pointed arches on circular columns with heads on responds. North arcade: C19, 4 bays, matching that to south. C19 double-chamfered chancel arch. Tall double-chamfered tower arch, the inner arch on angular responds. Ribbed vault to ringing chamber. North vestry: C15. 4 chamfered ribs forming half of a pointed arch; hollow-chamfered doorway with basket arch from chancel. Early C14 trefoiled piscina in south aisle. Sanctuary: encaustic wall tiles by Eden Nesfield, 1877. Similar tiling in Carpenter chapel, with bas relief plasterwork of 1905 depicting agricultural and maritime scenes. Set in south wall at west end: parts of 4 medieval tomb slabs with elaborate crosses. Beside pulpit, part of Anglo- Danish cross-shaft with rope moulding. C16 parish chest at west end of nave. Monuments: large black marble tablet in architrave on south wall near chancel arch, set up after 1743 to commemorate death in 1670 of Henry Jenkins aged 169; on north wall of sanctuary, tablet with Latin inscription to Rev John Noble, first headmaster of Scorton Grammar School (qv) d1767, with frieze of books, and above cornice a bust flanked by distraught cherubs; on north aisle wall, tablet to John Wastell of Scorton, Master in Chancery d1659, and family; on east wall of north aisle, several monuments to Crowe family of Kiplin, including Robert Crowe, d1818, by Taylor of York. VCH I, p 156.

Listing NGR: SE2523999168

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 322316

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing