SUN COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1131543

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Nov-1986

Statutory Address: SUN COTTAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SUN COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131543 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 04:29:53.

Location

Statutory Address: SUN COTTAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Moulton

National Grid Reference: NZ2354303806

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MOULTON MOULTON NZ 2203-2303

10/98 Sun Cottage (formerly listed as Joiners 4.2.69 shop - Chapel on OS)

GV II

Marked as Sunniside Cottage on Ordnance Survey Map. Medieval chapel, now house. Possibly C13, with C19 alterations and C20 alterations and extensions. Rubble, C20 pantile roof. single storey approximately 3 bays. Quoins. All external openings are of C20 date. Interior: 4 medieval roof trusses (3 exposed) of angled principals with arched collars, supported on corbels. In the east wall, to right of C20 fireplace, piscina moved from the conventional position in south-east corner, with triangular hood carved from one piece of stone, thought to be of French origin. West doorway now gives access to bathroom. The chapel has been identified as that of a small cell, established at Moulton in the C13, of the French Abbey of Bagard, which was highly esteemed by the Earl of Richmond. Desite the dissolution of the English properties of alien priorities by the Crown in 1414, the Chapel was still used for services in the early C15, and presumably continued so until the Reformation (article on Moulton in Scorton Grammar School Magazine of December 1925). Recorded to have been granted by the Crown in 1586 to John Awbrey and John Radcliffe (VCH; i, p197), and to have been used as a carpenter's shop in the late C19. Bulmer History, Topography and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890), p 519.

Listing NGR: NZ2354303806

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 322164

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bulmer, T, History Topography and Directory of North Yorkshire, (1890), 519
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 197

End of official listing