Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1131635

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1958



Ordnance survey map of MIDDLE BIRKS FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131635 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 03:01:50.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Austwick

National Grid Reference: SD 73671 65089


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


AUSTWICK SD 76 NW 7/1 Middle Birks Farmhouse 20.2.58 - II Farmhouse. Dated 1633 with gabled entrance porch dated 1697, C19 and C20 alte- rations. Slobbered rubble and squared rubble, stone dressings, stone slate and slate roof. 2 storeys, 4 bays. Left-hand bay is later than main build and contains central waggon entrance to cartshed, 2 leaf plank doors. Central 2 storey gabled entrance porch has entrance right of centre with moulded chamfered surround, decorated lintel, and decorated datestone over lintel inscribed N / E C (Edward and Catherine Nowell). Hoodmould lifts over lintel and datestone and continues over single-light window with moulded chamfered lintel to left and right of entrance. Left-hand return to porch contains 2-light chamfered window and hoodmould; right-hand return contains single light chamfered window. Two right-hand bays contain C20 ground floor window, C20 ground floor entrance, former 2-light chamfered mullioned window, mullion now missing; C20 casements. Upper floor: left-hand bay single light window, sashes with glazing bars; 3 light chamfered window with cavetto mullions, stepped central light, hoodmould to porch; right-hand former 3-light chamfered window with cavetto mullions, and right-hand mullion now missing; and stepped 3-light chamfered window with ovolo mullions and stepped hoodmould; C20 casements and fixed lights. Eaves mullions. Gable coping and kneelers to porch. Left-hand projecting gable end, left of centre and right-hand ridge stacks; C19 stack to left-hand angle with porch. At rear is former fire window, single light with chamfered surround; slate dripstone. Interior: former entrance inside porch has 1633 inscribed on plaster coating to lintel. Reused chamfered beams former parlour possibly late C16/early C17. Bathroom, above porch, contains 2 tiers of plaster panelling in bolection moulding and C17 frieze of festoons. Attic contains remains of timber fire hood.

Listing NGR: SD7367165089


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 324008

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing