TOWN END AND TOWN END COTTAGES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1131637

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1988

Statutory Address: TOWN END AND TOWN END COTTAGES, CLAPHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWN END AND TOWN END COTTAGES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131637 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 10:40:41.

Location

Statutory Address: TOWN END AND TOWN END COTTAGES, CLAPHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Austwick

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

National Grid Reference: SD 76444 68264

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

AUSTWICK CLAPHAM ROAD SD 76 NE (north side) 8/7 Town End and Town End Cottages - II Formerly one, now 2 cottages. Dated 1712 with probably C19 left-hand bay and early C20 entension to right of Town End Cottage. Pebble dash, stone dressings, stone slate roof. 2 storeys, formerly 4 bays. Formerly central entrance has chamfered surround and dated lintel inscribed A/W/H; C20 door. On ground floor immediately to left is deepened ground floor window, probably originally 3 lights with mullions now missing; C20 casements. To right of entrance on ground floor is tall single-light window, probably originally a fire-window. Further to the right is C20 entrance and window, formerly 3 light chamfered mullioned window, now part of Town End Cottage. Left-hand bay beyond a 1912 buttress has one window per storey, C20 casements. Remaining upper floor windows are former 3-light chamfered mullioned window, now with mullions missing, casements; and 2 C20 window and former 2-light chamfered mullioned window with mullion now missing; casements. Ridge stack right of centre. To right of Town End cottagevis early C20 extension of 2 storeys, slightly taller than C17 building, 2 bays. originally stables to Harden House (q.v).



Listing NGR: SD7644468264

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 324012

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing