GIGGLESWICK SCHOOL CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1131724

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1958

Statutory Address: GIGGLESWICK SCHOOL CHAPEL, CRAVEN BANK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GIGGLESWICK SCHOOL CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131724 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 16:46:23.

Location

Statutory Address: GIGGLESWICK SCHOOL CHAPEL, CRAVEN BANK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Giggleswick

National Grid Reference: SD 80720 63927

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GIGGLESWICK CRAVEN BANK LANE SD 86 SW (south side) 4/9 20.2.58 Giggleswick School Chapel

GV II*

School chapel. 1897-1901. By T G Jackson. Gothic Banded rockfaced millstone grit sandstone and limestone, copper hipped roof to nave and copper covered terracotta dome to chancel, Elterwater slate aisles. Latin cross plan: west entrance porch, 3 bay nave; one bay chancel, narrow side aisles. 5 bay west entrance to narthex, lean-to slate roof. 4 centre head to central entrance, plank doors, strap hinges. 4 round headed chamfered windows within shallow segmental arched arcades. Rose window with cusped lights. Set-back buttresses. Nave: right-hand entrance on south side has lintel dated 1897, plank door. 3 small round headed lights to aisles, three 3-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centre heads and hoodmoulds to clerestory; corbel table. Square chancel defined by octagonal turrets on square bases at each angle, louvred bell stages and sandstone caps. 5-light Decorated south window and similar but 7-light east window. Two 2-light round headed windows on north. Interior: Italian sgrafitto work throughout. Nave: inlaid marble floor. Bronze statutes of Edward VI and Queen Victoria by G Frampton in niches above nave entrance; stained glass west window by Jackson. Pews, choir stalls and pulpit of Argentine cedar. Round headed arcade to aisles, foliated capitals. Barrel vaulted roof with King post trusses. Chancel: stained glass by Burlison and Grylls. Tesserae to dome and pendentives. Octagonal lantern above dome. Source: E A Bell A History of Giggleswick School (Leeds, 1912), pp 198-203.

Listing NGR: SD8072063927

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 323803

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bell, E A , A History of Giggleswick School, (1912), 198-203

End of official listing