COW BYRE AT NORTH EAST END OF PADDOCK PLANTATION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1131921

Date first listed: 21-May-1987

Statutory Address: COW BYRE AT NORTH EAST END OF PADDOCK PLANTATION

Map

Ordnance survey map of COW BYRE AT NORTH EAST END OF PADDOCK PLANTATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131921 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 04:41:50.

Location

Statutory Address: COW BYRE AT NORTH EAST END OF PADDOCK PLANTATION

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Gilling with Hartforth and Sedbury

National Grid Reference: NZ 19835 04439

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GILLING WITH HARTFORTH SEDBURY PARK NZ 1804-1904 AND SEDBURY

15/143 Cow Byre at north-east end of Paddock Plantation

GV II

Cow byre. Late C18 - early C19. Possibly by John Foss of Richmond. Roughcast rubble with ashlar dressings, stone slate and corrugated sheet roofs. Of 1 and 2 storeys, 1:1:1 bays. North elevation: central bay of 2 storeys, slightly projecting; pointed-arched doorway of 2 orders, first- floor band, blind ashlar quatrefoil above; ashlar crenellated coping to pitched gable. Single-storey outer bays, each with an ashlar vent in form of loop-hole; straight parapet to right masking monopitch roof, parapet missing to left. South elevation: central bay of 2 storeys, slightly projecting; with pointed-arched doorway flanked by ashlar loop-hole vents, first-floor vent; blind ashlar quatrefoil above; ashlar crenellated coping mostly missing; doorway in left bay, parapet missing; wall fallen in right bay. Interior: central range of 3 internal bays with 2 queen-strut roof trusses; first floor removed. Western range has partial corrugated sheet roof. Eastern range is partly ruinous. The building was clearly designed to complement, but be subservient to, The Rock folly on the hillside above (qv).

Listing NGR: NZ1983504439

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 323358

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing