THE ROCK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1131922

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 21-May-1969

Statutory Address: THE ROCK

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ROCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131922 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 21:41:18.

Location

Statutory Address: THE ROCK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Gilling with Hartforth and Sedbury

National Grid Reference: NZ 20001 04607

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GILLING WITH HARTFORTH SEDBURY PARK NZ 20 SW1904 AND SEDBURY NZ1804-1904 9/144 The Rock 15/144 (formerly listed as The Folly, Sedbury Park) 4.2.69 GV II

Folly. Dated 1795. By John Foss of Richmond for the D'Arcy Hutton family. Coursed rubble sandstone. 2-storey circular tower enclosed by octagonal single-storey base from which side-walls extend along the top of the outcrop of rock upon which it is built. The base contained the staircase, but is now partly collapsed; each side had a blind pointed-arched window, the voussoirs alternately rusticated, and had battlemented parapet, all now gone. Tower has 4 pointed-arched openings with matching voussoirs; similar treatment to course of stone next but one below eaves band, and with water- spout to south-west, former battlemented parapet gone. Side walls, now partly collapsed, had pointed-arched openings, one surviving in north wall, and battlemented parapet (now gone). Interior: upper room of ashlar, and with saucer dome; "RDH 1797" inscribed on lintel above north-east window. York Georgian Society, Annual Report, 1977, pp 40-41.

Listing NGR: NZ2000104607

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 323359

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'York Georgian Society Annual Report' in York Georgian Society Annual Report, (1977), 40-41

End of official listing