Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1131933

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1969

Statutory Address: HARTFORTH HALL


Ordnance survey map of HARTFORTH HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131933 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 03:09:19.


Statutory Address: HARTFORTH HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Gilling with Hartforth and Sedbury

National Grid Reference: NZ1701306445


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



Country house. Dated 1744 with addition dated 1792 and with late C19 - c1900 additions. For the Cradock family. The 1792 addition probably by John Foss of Richmond. Sandstone, part rubble, part coursed, with some ashlar dressings, Westmorland slate roof. 2 storeys; south elevation of 2:3:3 bays, the original house with range to north-west added in 1792, added return to right c1900 and with extensive rear ranges of various dates. South elevation: plinth, quoins, first-floor band. Central 3 bays project slightly, are of rubble, and have central leaved glazed doors below overlight in architrave with tripartite keystone in rusticated quoined ashlar surround with pediment; sash windows in ashlar architraves, slightly smaller on first floor; modillion cornice; turned-baluster parapet with square pedestals with urn finials at ends. 2 bays to left: rubble; matching fenestration; lead rainwater pipe in angle to right with hopper head cast "SC 1744"; eaves band below plain parapet with urn finial to left and scroll supporting parapet over central range; roof hipped to left; corniced panelled ashlar stacks between second and third bays. 3 bays to right probably rebuilt c1900: coursed stone; matching fenestration; parapet details as at other end; roof hipped to right; matching stack between fifth and sixth bays. Left return: 2:2:1:3:2 bays; ninth and tenth bays: rubble, fenestration matching that on front; sixth-eighth bays inclusive, coursed stone, plinth, 2-storey semicircular bow with 3 bays of sash windows in ashlar architraves, with glazing bars on ground floor; in angles to left and right, lead rainwater pipes and heads cast "SC 1792"; fifth bay, of rubble, with plinth; 4-pane casement window on ground floor, sash window on first floor, both in raised ashlar surrounds; straight joint between fourth and fifth bays; third and fourth bays have no plinth, quoins to left, 4-pane sash windows on ground floor and sash windows on first floor, all in raised ashlar surrounds; first and second bays: coursed stone, to left a 4-panel door below 6-pane overlight, scar of yard wall to its right, 4-pane sash windows in raised ashlar surrounds on first floor; whole facade has band below ashlar parapet and corniced ashlar stacks between second and third, fourth and fifth, fifth and sixth, eighth and ninth bays. Right return: 2:3:2 bays; coursed stone with ashlar dressings; plinth; centre bay curved, with leaved glazed doors in architrave within tetrastyle prostyle Doric portico, with inscription "TAKUFORTE 1900" on blocking course, flanked by matching windows, and on first floor matching windows with Tuscan pilasters between; cavetto-shaped brackets below cornice supporting parapet with turned balusters, and with urn finials to outer ends; hipped roof; corniced ashlar stacks between second and third, fifth and sixth bays. To right, single-storey range forming part of service range round sunken paved yard, with 6-panel leaved door in architrave with tripartite keystone, and above it recessed panel; to right 2 recessed panels; band and parapet. Interior: entrance range with hall, staircase hall behind, sitting room to left and office to right, all late C19 - c1900; in centre of south front, large room of c1744 with egg-and-dart edging to panelling, modillion cornice, fireplace with egg-and-dart edging, frieze with acanthus scrolls, 2 cornucopiae framing a fox's head, egg-and-dart motif to overmantel with frieze with real sea-shells below pediment, panels with sea-shell drops over doorways with bay-leaf garland on torus friezes and doors of 6 fielded panels; room of same date beyond with matching doorcases and doors with carved edges to panels and matching shutters with beaded panels, cornice with modillions and rosettes; north of this, sitting room of 1792, with segmental-bow-windowed end, marble fireplace, anthemion frieze and Adam-style ceiling; east of this, staircase of 1792, open well plan has cantilevered stone steps with bracketed string and wreathed handrail on curtail step, square-section wrought-iron balusters, top-lit from lantern with lunettes and Adam-style ceiling; bedroom of 1792 above sitting room, with segmental-bow-windowed end, acanthus-leaf frieze, and with columns with acanthus-leaf capitals at end opposite window. In-north-west corner, former kitchens, one of which has tripartite fireplace with segmental arches. An outbuilding between the present house and the former stable yard, partly under the latter, may have been the earlier manor house.

Listing NGR: NZ1701306445


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 323281

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing