This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE CURTAIN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE CURTAIN

List entry Number: 1131943

Location

THE CURTAIN, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Gilling with Hartforth and Sedbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-May-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 323309

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GILLING WITH HARTFORTH HIGH STREET NZ 1805-1905 AND SEDBURY (east side) Gilling West 14/95 The Curtain

GV II

3 cottages, now 2 houses. Probably C14, with many later alterations. Rubble sandstone, C20 pantile roof with stone slates at eaves. 2 storeys, 6 first-floor windows to south. Quoins. Ground floor, from left: scar of blocked fire window; part of blocked round-arched doorway; C20 pent-roofed porch with casement window; three C20 casement windows. First floor: blocked chamfered fire window surround; five C20 casement windows. Coping to right. 2 brick ridge stacks. Rear: head of C13 type window, with 2 pointed arches, and traces of a similar window. Right return: 2 blocked pointed-arched windows; gable with reversed crowstepping. The name of the building is thought to derive from the Latin cortem, meaning a yard or enclosure, which gives the English legal term curtilage. The French word cortaine, from the same root, implies a monastic enclosure. It has been suggested that The Curtain, and the Angel Inn, to which it is attached, were once a small monastic house, as early architectural fragments have been noted when various alterations have been carried out in the past, and that The Curtain was the chapel, with a south door and east window. In the C18 and early C19, The Curtain was used as a mail house when the Angel was an important coaching inn and mailing station, and converted into 3 cottages after the mail had transferred to the railways. Laybourn K, Historical Notes on the Parish Church of Gilling West, North Yorkshire, (1979), pp 3-4.

Listing NGR: NZ1835205168

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Laybourn, K , Historical Notes on the Parish Church of Gilling West, (1979), 3-4

National Grid Reference: NZ 18341 05168

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131943 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 08:07:02.

End of official listing