MANOR FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1131953

Date first listed: 16-Jun-1978

Statutory Address: MANOR FARMHOUSE, LUCY CROSS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131953 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 13:21:31.

Location

Statutory Address: MANOR FARMHOUSE, LUCY CROSS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Aldbrough

National Grid Reference: NZ 20496 11648

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALDBROUGH LUCY CROSS ROAD NZ 2011-2111 (east side) 11/15 Aldbrough St John 11/15 Manor Farmhouse 16.6.78 GV II

Farmhouse. Dated 1831. For the Duke of Northumberland. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, artificial stone slate roofs. Cruciform plan, 2 storeys and loft, 2:1:2 bays, Jacobethan style. Chamfered plinth. Quoins with herringbone tooling and draughted margins. First-floor moulded sill string. Mullion windows with hoodmoulds. In angle to left of central projecting front wing, single-storey flat-roofed porch with part-glazed vertical-panelled door in moulded surround with shouldered lintel and hoodmould; cornice carrying ashlar parapet with moulded coping; single-light window in left return. Matching single-storey projection in angle to right, with single-light window. Central wing: 3-light windows, with transom on first floor, and in gable above small light vent which retains the original diamond glazing; 2-light window on ground floor of left and right returns. Left range: 3-light window on ground floor; cross windows on first floor, that above porch with original diamond glazing. Right range: 2-light windows on ground floor; cross windows on first floor. Ashlar coping to end and central gables. Paired ashlar octagonal chimneys over "crossing" and at right end. Rear: steps up to first-floor part-glazed door in chamfered surround to lower cross wing; lean-to in angle with wing, several lead fluted rainwater heads. Left return: 2-light window on ground floor, single light on gable. Interior: a roof timber has painted on it the date August 1831. This farm complex was the earliest of several in the area built by the Duke of Northumberland. It was originally called Lucy Cross Farm (which name is given on old Ordnance Survey maps), which is probably why the plan chosen by the Duke was cruciform. (Lucy Cross was the name of a coaching inn on the old Great North Road, and a destination of one section of turnpike road.)

Listing NGR: NZ2049611648

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 323227

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing