CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1131962

Date first listed: 21-May-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131962 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 18:00:10.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Forcett and Carkin

National Grid Reference: NZ 17556 12246

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FORCETT AND CARKIN FORCETT NZ 1612-1712 10/40 Church of St Cuthbert 4.2.69 GV II

Church. C12 work incorporated into rebuilt church of 1859, C13 tower. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, Westmorland slate roof. West tower, nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel with north vestry. Tower: of 3 1/2 stages, the lowest one being relatively near the ground, forming a kind of basement; plinth; quoins; round-arched vents on ground and first stages; belfry opening of 2 segmental-pointed-arched lights under monolithic lintel, divided by shaft with small volutes on capital; battlemented parapets; lancet window with hoodmould on ground floor of west side and matching belfry opening; square-plan stair turret in north-east corner and matching belfry opening on north side; octagonal clock in moulded frame on east side. Porch: diagonal buttresses; late C12 Romanesque doorway of 2 orders with waterleaf capitals to shafts; light vent above; coping with gable cross; light vent in left side; early C12 Romanesque inner doorway, much restored, of 2 orders with zigzag motif on outer order and with reeded archivolt. The porch reuses many fine Anglo-Saxon and medieval carved stones, largely tombstones but also including an Anglo-Saxon cross and other Anglo-Saxon carved stones; in the east side a hollow-chamfered pointed arch with stop chamfers to recess containing a worn C14 recumbent effigy of a priest in mass vestments, and in its rear wall a medieval tombstone with foliate cross and shears and an Anglo-Saxon cross-head and a stone carved with beasts; the bench tables are seated with medieval tombstones; in west wall a medieval tombstone with pattee cross on stepped base, with shears. There are also 2 Anglo-Saxon carved stones on outside of porch, on east side. Nave: end butresses; lancet windows with sill string, 1 to west of porch, 2 to east of porch and, with buttress to its left, a paired lancet window; ashlar coping, with gable cross to east. North aisle: 4 bays of lancet windows divided by buttresses; at west and east ends, window of 2 segmental- pointed-arched lights with oculus above. Chancel: of 2 bays, but with only one window, towards west end, of 2 lights with Decorated tracery and hoodmould; coping with gable cross to right; east end with panelled corner buttresses terminating in finials, 1 missing at time of resurvey, and with 4-light west window with reticulated tracery. Vestry: pointed-arched doorway with hoodmould, and octagonal ashlar chimney; east window of 2 segmental-arched trefoiled lights with hoodmould. Interior: Early English-style 4-bay north arcade with circular columns, tower and chancel arches; richly carved woodwork to roofs, especially in chancel, and elaborate fittings including, in chancel, panelling, choir stalls and altar rail, also similar quality pulpit, reading desk and pews in nave. On west side above chancel arch, Ten Commandments painted on a thin slab; many good wall monuments including, among others to the Michell family, a matching pair, to John Michell d1766 and family (north), and Charles Michell d1841 of Forcett Hall and family (south); on north wall of aisle to William Clark of Barforth Hall d1833 by Websters of Kendal; on south wall of nave monument with sarcophagus to James Shuttleworth, MP d1783; below it a good brass to Mrs Anne Underhill, formerly Shuttleworth, d1637 showing a round-arched vault supported on columns with "Labour" and "Rest" on the capitals, and the deceased in an attutude of prayer on the floor below; also brass monument to Anne's son Nicholaus Shuttleworth of Forcett, armiger, d1666 with Latin inscription. VCH i, p 70.

Listing NGR: NZ1755612246

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 323252

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 70

End of official listing