This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Church of St Mary and St John

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: Church of St Mary and St John

List entry Number: 1131972

Location

Church of St Mary and St John, Hardraw, Hawes, DL8 3LZ

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: High Abbotside

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 323173

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 06/03/2018

SD 89 SE 7/148

HIGH ABBOTSIDE HARDRAW Church of St Mary and St John

(Formerly listed as Church of Saint Mary and Saint John, HARDROW)

25.3.69

GV II Church. 1879-81. By R H Carpenter for the Earl of Wharncliffe. Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, Westmorland slate roof.

Nave with west bellcote and south porch, chancel with north vestry, 4:2 bays. Porch: pointed-arched doorway of two chamfered orders dying into rounded responds. Above, in gable, trefoiled niche. Inner doorway: neo-Romanesque, one order with water-leaf capitals. Nave windows: paired lancets with quatrefoil above in plate tracery. Chancel: two trefoiled lights; priest's doorway matching that of porch; one trefoiled light. Copings. Gable crosses. East window of three stepped lancets. North windows: single lights. West window: two trefoiled lights with sexfoil above. Neo-Romanesque two-light bellcote.

Interior: Early English-style chancel arch of two chamfered orders. Vestry screen C17, panelled with fluted frieze.Plaque in vestry recording C18 grants from Queen Anne's Bounty. In nave, brass of Alice Stuart, d 1788.

Listing NGR: SD8673591270

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 86735 91270

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131972 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 09:21:50.

End of official listing