This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THORNTON HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THORNTON HALL

List entry Number: 1131981

Location

THORNTON HALL, VILLAGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Thornton Rust

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Jul-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 323206

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THORNTON RUST VILLAGE STREET SD 98 NE (south side) 14/177 Thornton Hall (formerly 25.3.69 listed as Thornton House) - II Large house. Dated 1672, with early-C18, early C19 and later alterations and extensions. Formerly the seat of the Chapman family. Rubble with ashlar dressings, stone slate roof. 2 storeys, irregular plan of spine with cross wings. North front: 1:2:1. Chamfered rusticated quoins. In centre, to left: part-glazed door in sandstone ashlar surround with splayed bases, eared and richly-moulded architrave, pulvinated frieze and modillioned cornice. Above, a sash window with glazing bars. To right, 1 bay of tripartite sash windows. Gutter brackets. Left wing: 16-pane sash windows. Right wing: paired sash windows. Kneelers and copings. Corniced ashlar stacks on gables of cross- wings, and in centre of spine. To right, recessed wing with segmental-arched opening, now window, and glazed door in keyed surround; and on first floor, 2 sash windows with glazing bars under segmental arches of ashlar voussoirs and keystones. Rear elevation: in centre, projecting 2-storey porch with 4-panel M door in quoined surround with moulded arris, "1672 G C" inscribed on lintel, FC and added inscription "1706". Elaborate hood-mould with decorative motifs on drops. Above, C18 round-arched window, flanked by small triangular-headed windows. Flat-topped gable with ball finials above kneelers. To left: 4 fire windows with chamfered ashlar surrounds and later openings. Gutter brackets. To right: 3 small pointed-arched blind openings in gable. Interior: segmental- arched fireplace of original main room.

Listing NGR: SD9729888857

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 97298 88857

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1131981 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 05:29:38.

End of official listing