GAYLE MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1132000

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1969

Statutory Address: GAYLE MILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of GAYLE MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132000 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 13:08:24.

Location

Statutory Address: GAYLE MILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Hawes

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

National Grid Reference: SD 87116 89382

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:

GAYLE HAWES Gayle Mill SD 88 NE 20/121 25.3.69 GV II

The grade shall be amended to read Grade II* (star)

------------------------------------

HAWES GAYLE SD 88 NE 20/121 Gayle Mill 25.3.69 GV II Cotton mill, now saw mill. c1784. Rubble, stone slate roof. 3 storeys, 6 bays. Quoins. In bay 3, leaved board doors under deep timber lintel, with small wheels set in floor for movement of timber onto saw-bench inside. Original 16-pane fixed-light windows mostly replaced by 8-pane windows. Stack at end left, former bellcote at end right. Rear elevation: blocked tail-race opening from wheelchamber in corner near stream with round arch of rubble voussoirs and hood-mould; regular pattern of windows. Right return: blocked doorway formerly giving access to axle of waterwheel in centre of ground floor. Left return: first-floor end entry with leaved board doors. Interior: 2 workable water turbines by Williamson of Kendal. The mill was switched to spinning wool for the local knitting industry in the late C18, and was converted to a saw mill in the C19. The overshot waterwheel was replaced by turbines in the late C19. From 1919 - 1948 the turbines supplied electric light for the village. James Alderson, Under Wetherfell (1980), pp 132-3.

Listing NGR: SD8711689382

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 323144

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Alderson, J, Under Wetherfell, (1980), 132-3

End of official listing