This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RIGG HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RIGG HOUSE

List entry Number: 1132007

Location

RIGG HOUSE, A684

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: High Abbotside

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 323166

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HIGH ABBOTSIDE A 684 SD 89 SW (north side) (Cotter Riggs) 6/142 Rigg House 25.3.69 - II House. Mid-late C18. Rubble, stone slate roof. L-shaped plan, 2 storeys, 5 bays. South elevation: central 3 bays a segmental bow. Left bay of coursed watershot rubble, 9-panel door on ground floor, sash window with glazing bars above. Central 3 bays have sash windows with glazing bars on ground floor, sash windows with glazing bars and ogee heads on first floor. Bay to right a derelict outbuilding, with coach house entered from rear on ground floor: quoins to right, 1 window opening on each floor. Stacks at ends and between bays 1 and 2, 4 and 5. Tall staircase window in left return. The birthplace of Sir William Hillary (1771-1847), equerry to the Duke of Sussex, created baronet 1805, and founder of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution in 1824.

Listing NGR: SD8458291871

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 84582 91871

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132007 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 12:40:30.

End of official listing