TERRACE WALL OF ESHTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132082

Date first listed: 31-May-1989

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Nov-2011

Statutory Address: Eshton, Craven, North Yorkshire

Map

Ordnance survey map of TERRACE WALL OF ESHTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132082 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 19:46:54.

Location

Statutory Address: Eshton, Craven, North Yorkshire

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Eshton

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

National Grid Reference: SD9380655996

Summary

Retaining wall to south-east terrace of Eshton Hall.

Reasons for Designation

* Design: As part of Webster's overall design of the Hall, defining the terrace upon which the Hall is constructed, separating it from the grazed parkland to the south east whilst not interrupting the view; * Group Value: with the Grade II* listed Eshton Hall and the other associated Grade II listed ancillary structures such as the gates to the drive.

History

Eshton Hall, a country house designed by George Webster of Kendal for Matthew Wilson in 1825-7 was one of the earliest examples of Elizabethan revival architecture to be fully realised nationally and is listed grade II*. The terrace wall, which defines the terrace in front of the main elevation of the hall, separating it from the parkland that extends down hill to the east, is considered to be part of the overall design of the hall in its landscape setting. Functionally it acts as barrier to livestock grazing the park whilst not interrupting the view from the Hall south and eastwards. The terrace wall is punctuated with ashlar piers, some of which were topped by urns in 1989 when the wall was listed grade II. However photographs from the 1950s show that these urns were a later C20 addition which were removed sometime between 1997 and 2002.

Details

Retaining wall to the terrace on the south east side of Eshton Hall. 1825-7 by George Webster of Kendal for Matthew Wilson.

MATERIALS: Dressed stone with ashlar piers and coping.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 324925

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing