CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1132086
Date first listed:
10-Sep-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132086 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 21:06:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Craven (District Authority)
Parish:
Gargrave
National Grid Reference:
SD 93195 53911

Details

GARGRAVE CHURCH STREET SD 95 SW (east side)

5/62 Church of St Andrew

10.9.54

GV II

Parish Church. West tower probably C16, rest 1852 by Rhode Hawkins. Sandstone ashlar, yellowish to the tower and red to the remainder. Green slate roofs except to aisles and tower, of lead. Nave, chancel, west tower, clasping aisles, and north and south porches. The style is perpendicular throughout. West tower has diagonal buttresses, battlements and eight pinnacles. Three- light windows including that to west, which is surmounted by an empty niche with cresting, below which is an inscription. The aisles are of seven bays and the chancel is of two, all with 2-light pointed windows, whereas the clerestory has 2-light straight-headed windows. Inside there is a 6-bay arcade and the nave roof is of an arch braced open type carried on angel corbels. That to the chancel is similar but enriched. Stained glass throughout, the 3 east windows and four chancel windows being a set of 1854 by Capronnier of Brussels. Those in the chancel are of saints, and the remainder show the Resurection Crucifixion and Baptism.

Listing NGR: SD9319553911

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
324938
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12441/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Lady Marianne Meadow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].