FOUNTAINES HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1132124

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1954

Statutory Address: FOUNTAINES HOSPITAL, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FOUNTAINES HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132124 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 04:30:20.

Location

Statutory Address: FOUNTAINES HOSPITAL, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Linton

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

National Grid Reference: SD 99709 62683

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LINTON MAIN STREET SD 9862-9962 (south side, off) 12/64 Fountaine's Hospital 10.9.54 GV II* Chapel and almshouses. 1721 by Richard Fountaine, extended to rear late C19. Ashlar and rubble stone; stone slate roofs. 2 storeys, 7 bays, the central bay breaks forward slightly and projects as a 2-bay chapel to rear, the outer bays project 1 bay to front and approximately 3 bays to rear. A Palladian facade composed of central tower with 8-panel door in a slightly recessed semi-circular rusticated archway with hollow moulding to surround; the cornice above forms the base of a wide apron with cornice and semi- circular headed niche with imposts on broad panelled pilasters. Giant pilasters flank the doorway and support an entablature with triglyphs and a massive cornice which breaks forward above the pilasters. The projections support urn-shaped finials flanking the bellcote with round-arched louvred opening, panelled pilasters, cornice and lead cupola surmounted by a weather vane. The flanking 2-bay ranges each have a 6-panel door with 8- pane overlight and 24-pane sash to ground floor, the door to outside, and 12-pane casements to first floor; these openings are set in Gibbs surrounds with triple keystones and rusticated jambs; moulded cornice and blocking course above. Flanking wings: the central window to ground and first floor as main range but in a moulded architrave; the doorways face inwards and have projecting surrounds; the corners have clasping pilasters overlain by projecting quoins matching the Gibbs surrounds and a shallow corniced pediment. Corniced ridge stack to each wing; tall stacks towards rear, flanking entrance tower. Rear: the chapel has a south Venetian window composed of a central round-arched light flanked by lower rectangular light, in an architrave. The 2 side windows are round-arched, of 5 x 4 lights with fanlight. The rear wings are of rubble, with C19 south extension on the east wing and refenestration. Interior: the outer door has enormous strap hinges on its inner side. A small vestibule within the entrance has a board door to left and right, the strap hinges hung on pintles. The chapel contains late C19 fittings and a false ceiling possibly concealing earlier plasterwork. Interior of cottages not inspected. Richard Fountaine of Linton made a fortune in London and by his will of July 15,1721 an estate was purchased and the hospital erected on his estate at Linton; £26 p.a. was to be spent on 6 poor men or women in the parish and £20 p.a. to the minister, if he resided in the parish, for reading prayers twice every week. By the early C19 the chapel was in decay and the foundation apparently subject to corruption. In 1812 new trustees were appointed and a period of improvement began. The building may have been designed by William Wakefield, who designed houses from 1713 in a style close to Vanburgh. T. D. Whitaker, History and Antiquities of the Deanery of Craven, 1805, reprinted 1973, p550. ~ ~

Listing NGR: SD9970762686

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 324818

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Whitaker, T D, The History and Antiquities of the Deanery of Craven, (1805), 550

End of official listing