DARNBROOK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132165

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1958

Statutory Address: DARNBROOK HOUSE, MALHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of DARNBROOK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132165 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 00:38:07.

Location

Statutory Address: DARNBROOK HOUSE, MALHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Malham Moor

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

National Grid Reference: SD 89870 70577

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 87 SE MALHAM MOOR MALHAM ROAD SD 8985 7058 (north side)

9/132 Darnbrook House

20.2.58

- II

House. Dated 1664, restored C19. Gritstone rubble, graduated grey slates to roof front, stone slates to rear. 2 storeys, 3 bays, with single-storey porch between bays 2 and 3 and a lobby entry plan; a 2-storey, 2-bay added range with parallel roof to rear bays 1 and 2. Quoins. The porch entrance has a flat lintel and stone benches; the inner board door is in a deeply chamfered and slightly cambered archway. A restored square window under hoodmould, with plain surround and C20 frame to ground floor, bay 1; otherwise recessed chamfered mullion windows throughout, of 4 and 5 lights with hoodmoulds flanking the porch; of 2,3 (now 2) and 2 lights to first floor. Very large corniced ashlar stack to ridge above porch; smaller ridge stack-far left. Interior: A drawbar survives inside the main entrance door. A dated lintel, possibly repositioned, with raised lettering, " I B 1674 M B",is in the opening between the front and rear ranges of the house. Unless it is repositioned it appears to date the addition of the 2 rooms, probably service or store rooms. The initials are of John Buck and his wife, whose family tenanted the farm from Fountains Abbey and bought it after the Dissolution. A. Raistrick, Malham and Malham Moor, 1974 (reprinted 1983), p. 102

Listing NGR: SD8987070577

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 324719

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Raistrick, A, Malham and Malham Moor, (1983), 102

End of official listing