This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SCHOOLHOUSE AND CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, NOW HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SCHOOLHOUSE AND CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, NOW HOUSE

List entry Number: 1132182

Location

SCHOOLHOUSE AND CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, NOW HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Halton Gill

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 324660

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 87 NE HALTON GILL HALTON GILL

Schoolhouse and Church of St. John the 5/73 Baptist, now house

20.2.58

GV II

Former church and schoolhouse, now house. Schoolhouse dated 1626, for William Fawcett of Norwich, house restored and church rebuilt 1848 by A.B. Higham for the Misses Dawson of Marshfield. Coursed rubble, graduated stone slate roof. Quoins. Schoolhouse: 1 storey, 1 bay. Board door right, in quoined surround; lintel restored; panel above with raised lettering " W F " . Window of 3 trefoil-headed lights to left. Large external 1626 stack to left return. Church: 2-bay nave with south porch and lower 1-bay chancel. Bellcot to west end. Moulded arch to porch entrance; two 2-light Decorated nave windows with hoodmoulds, a single-light chancel window and 3-light east window, both with pointed-arched hoodmoulds. Gable copings, low central stack to nave ridge. History: William Fawcett was the son of a local farmer who moved to Norwich and left money for the establishment of a school at Halton Gill, to be run by a scholar/priest who would preach in the church and teach on Sunday and weekdays. The school closed in 1958. The church was a chapel of ease of Arncliffe. Included for group value. A. Raistrick, old Yorkshire Dales, 1967, p.155

Listing NGR: SD8800376571

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Raistrick, A, Old Yorkshire Dales, (1967), 155

National Grid Reference: SD 88003 76571

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132182 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 10:12:36.

End of official listing