This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OUTBUILDING APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES NORTHWEST OF MANOR HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OUTBUILDING APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES NORTHWEST OF MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1132183

Location

OUTBUILDING APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES NORTHWEST OF MANOR HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Halton Gill

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-May-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 324661

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 87 NE HALTON GILL HALTON GILL

Outbuilding approximately 5/74 20 metres northwest of Manor House

GV II

Farmhouse, now outbuilding. Dated 1652 with C18 addition and C19 conversion. Coursed gritstone, graduated stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 2 bays with added bay to left and 2-bay C19 range to right. Quoins. House: blocked doorway left, now a window with chamfered quoined jambs and cambered lintel carved with recessed panels and raised lettering, "T 1652 F". Recessed chamfered mullion windows centre and right on the ground floor, the central window is blocked and partly destroyed by an inserted byre doorway with plain lintel and jambs; a 2-light window to ground floor, right, mullion missing. On first floor one central 3-light window and 2- light window to right, both have a mullion missing. Added bay to left: a cambered arch to east entrance, quoined jambs. 2-bay range to right, the left bay has a central stable door, flanked by 4-light windows; a large carriage entrance to right bay, with quoined jambs and wooden lintel. Interior of oldest part: fireplace on left with C18 stone jambs and flat lintel. The house may have been built by a member of the Fawcett family; the added outbuilding is a common C18 feature in the area (cf. Low House q.v.), while the C19 stable and carriage house probably date from the alterations to Manor House (q.v.). Included for group value.

Listing NGR: SD8799576609

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 87995 76609

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132183 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 08:45:18.

End of official listing