THE GEORGE INN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132214

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1978

Statutory Address: THE GEORGE INN

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GEORGE INN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132214 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 06:03:15.

Location

Statutory Address: THE GEORGE INN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Buckden

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

National Grid Reference: SD 92623 78191

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 97 NW BUCKDEN HUBBERHOLME

6/42 The George Inn

17.4.78

GV II

Vicarage, now inn. Early - mid C18 with C19 alterations. Coursed limestone rubble, painted; graduated stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 5 first- floor windows. Doorway to right of centre with long and short quoined jambs; board door far left without jambs and with slight lintel; inserted glazed door right. Flat-faced mullion windows throughout, of 3, 2 and 2 lights to ground floor and of 2 lights to first floor. Ridge stack between first floor windows 2 and 3, 4 and 5. The right bay is set back slightly and continues as a C20 extension, not of special interest. Rear (to road): two 2-light and one 3-light window as front. A Victorian letter-box is set into the wall in left return. Interior not inspected at resurvey. The original house appears to be defined by the chimney stacks, the left bay possibly a byre or stable dating from the rebuilding of the bridge (q.v.) in 1734. The house became an inn in the early C19, kept by the parish clerk or churchwarden and belonging to the church. A. Raistrick, The Dalesman, 1948

Listing NGR: SD9262378191

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 324629

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Dalesman' in The Dalesman, (1948)

End of official listing