ANGLER'S COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132217

Date first listed: 04-May-1989

Statutory Address: ANGLER'S COTTAGE, B6160

Map

Ordnance survey map of ANGLER'S COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132217 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 17:54:55.

Location

Statutory Address: ANGLER'S COTTAGE, B6160

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Conistone with Kilnsey

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

National Grid Reference: SD 97470 67791

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 9767 CONISTONE WITH KILNSEY B6160 (west side) Kilnsey

23/54 Angler's Cottage

GV II

Inn, now house and holiday cottage. 1768 with late C19 alterations. Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar dressings, graduated stone slate roof. Quoins. 2 storeys, 5 bays, symmetrical facade to left, the right hand 2 bays narrower. C20 door and plain overlight bay 2 in sawn stone surround, a stone plaque above with a round-headed recess and letters in relief: " 0 " , C20 door far right in chamfered quoined surround. To right of H E 1768 the main entrance, bay 2, a blocked doorway has the letters "0" and "1754" crudely incised on the right jamb. Fenestration: rectangular windows in plain stone surrounds throughout, with C20 casements to ground foor bays 3 and 4, and 4-pane sashes elsewhere. Window to bay 4 ground floor is smaller than those to 1st 3 bays and those to bays 4 and 5 are larger. End stacks. Interior: the blocked front doorway has a fine built-in shelf unit of mid-late C18 type, with shaped shelves and shell hood. The building was the Angler's Inn, established in 1760 (Speight p.470) and the landlord was John Inman. One Henry Ovington lived at the inn in 1797 when a meeting of landowners took place to discuss the enclosure of the land in the area (Baistrick p 54). In 1882 the licence was given up, the property then owned by Mr. Tennant of Chapel House (q.v.),and the nearby Tennant Arms was established. A. Raistrick, Old Yorkshire Dales, 1967. H. Speight, Upper Wharfedale, 1903

Listing NGR: SD9747067791

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 324641

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Raistrick, A, Old Yorkshire Dales, (1967), 54
Speight, H, Upper Wharfedale, (1900), 470

End of official listing