CARLETON BIGGIN FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132305

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1988

Statutory Address: CARLETON BIGGIN FARMHOUSE, LOTHERSDALE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CARLETON BIGGIN FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132305 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 01:37:11.

Location

Statutory Address: CARLETON BIGGIN FARMHOUSE, LOTHERSDALE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Carleton

National Grid Reference: SD9801148671

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 94 NE CARLETON LOTHERSDALE ROAD

6/58 Carleton Biggin Farmhouse

II

House, partly 1571 or earlier and partly mid C19. Rubble and dressed stone with stone slate roof. The front is of two storeys with 3 bays of tall sash windows, but straight joints between the bays indicate that this is a reworking of an older structure. The left hand gable wall, which is of slobbered rubble, has 3 deep-set double chamfered stone mullion windows, 2 close together at ground floor and one above; all have hollow inner chamfer. Between the storeys is a stone with raised characters interspersing the date 1571 with AC (for Clifford). A weathered plinth of dressed stone reaches the eaves at one point. The interior has no apparent features of interest. This building appears to be a fragment of a hunting lodge of the Cliffords; the Ordnance Survey of 1853 shows a much larger structure.

Listing NGR: SD9801148671

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 324437

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing