This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1132314

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stainforth

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Sep-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 324358

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STAINFORTH CHURCH LANE SD 86 NW 2/18 Church of St Peter GV II

Parish church. 1839-42, altered 1873. Perpendicular style. Squared rubble, ashlar dressings, slate roof. West tower, nave, chancel, south east entrance porch and north east vestry. 3-stage tower, each stage divided by string course. West entrance has 2-centre head, moulded architrave and hoodmould; plank doors. Single light window above with cinquefoil head. 2-light belfry opening on all four faces with slate louvres, cinquefoil heads and hoodmould. Stepped clasping buttresses to tower, gargoyle on each face and embattled parapet. 4-bay nave has each bay divided by stepped buttresses. A 3-Light window with rectilinear tracery and cinque- foil heads and hoodmould in each bay. String course below embattled parapet is embellished by 3 carved heads. 1 bay chancel is lower and narrower than nave. 4-light east window has rectilinear tracery, cinquefoil heads and hoodmould. Diagonal buttresses and embattled parapet. North of chancel is single-storey vestry; entrance has two-centred head, and chimney is disguised as turret rising above buttress of chancel. Similar vestry and turret on south side is now an entrance porch. Interior has false hammer beam roof of 3 bays on carved stone corbels.

Source: W A Shuffrey : The Church of the Deanery of North Craven. (1914), pp 228-35.

Listing NGR: SD8206267365

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Shuffrey, W A , The Churches of the Deanery of North Craven, (1914), 228-35

National Grid Reference: SD 82062 67365

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132314 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 07:45:29.

End of official listing