This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE TANNERY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE TANNERY

List entry Number: 1132342

Location

THE TANNERY, THE GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Settle

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 324313

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SETTLE THE GREEN SD 8263 11/13 The Tannery 20.2.58 II Formerly farmhouse and barn, now house. Dated 1682 with right hand barn con- verted in C19 to form part of the house. Lobby entry. 3 storeys. 3 bays. Entrance to right of centre has chamfered surround and decorated basket arched lintel with date and initials HIAW; 3 panel door. 3 light chamfered mullioned window to left and 2 single light windows to both upper storeys. Left-hand bay projects slightly and has a single light window per storey and external steps to a third floor entrance which has a C20 door. Right hand bay has a C19 2 light flat faced mullioned window. Ridge stacks at gable ends and at junction of house and former barn. At the rear is a projecting central wing which was probably a stair turret. Interior contains chamfered inglenook fireplace later narrowed to create door to left. The farm became a tannery c.1792 and the garden contains the remains of slate-lined tanning pits c.1.2 metres square and c.1.2 metres deep.

Listing NGR: SD8222863230

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD8222863230

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132342 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 08:33:36.

End of official listing