This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OLD VICARAGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OLD VICARAGE

List entry Number: 1132354

Location

OLD VICARAGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Langcliffe

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Sep-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 324248

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANGCLIFFE SD 86 NW 2/8 Old Vicarage (formerly listed as 20.2.58 The Vicarage) GV II Former vicarage, now house. C17 with C19 alterations. Rendered, painted stone dressings, stone slate roof. 2 storeys 4 bays. Double entrance in third bay covered by decorated lintel (now rendered) and hoodmould; left-hand entrance has C19 French windows each with 4 panes, the upper pane having pointed arched heads; right hand door is C20. Above the entrance is a painted sundial with gnomon. On ground floor to the right is a 3-light chamfered window with hoodmould having cicular stops incised with a spiral. To the left of the entrance are a 3-light and 4-light cavetto mullioned window, with a continuous hoodmould. All 4 upper floor windows are mullioned with 3 lights; bay 1 is double chamfered with cavetto mullions on square stools; bay 2 is chamfered mullioned; bay 3 is probably C19 in C17 style, with double chamfered cavetto mullions. Bay 4 is double chamfered with a square stool under right-hand mullion. Gable-end ridge stack and ridge stack to the left of bay 2. Occupied by William Paley (1743 - 1805), Archdeacon of Carlisle and author of Principles of Moral and Political Philosophy (1785), and Evidences of Christianity (1794). Source: T Brayshaw and R M Robinson, A History of the Ancient Parish of Giggleswick (1932), pp 257-261

Listing NGR: SD8219565067

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Brayshaw, T, Robinson, R M , A History of the Ancient Parish of Giggleswick, (1932), 257-261

National Grid Reference: SD 82195 65067

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132354 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 10:32:22.

End of official listing