This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1132389



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kirkby Malham


Grade: I

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 324227

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


KIRKBY MALHAM SD 86 SE 6/2 Church of St Michael the Archangel 20.2.58 GV I Parish Church, late C15, restored 1879 to 81. Squared millstone grit, lead roof to side aisles, slate roof to nave and chancel, stone slate roof to hearse house. Two-bay chancel, four-bay nave, north and south aisles with side chapels. South porch, north hearse house, west tower. East wall of chancel has a five-light window of 1879 and hoodmould; set back buttresses. South aisle has buttresses and three- light windows with round heads and hoodmoulds ending in grotesques. Parapet with break marking junction with side chapel (Lambert Chapel) which has an entrance at the west end with a pointed arch and hoodmould. East wall of Lambert Chapel has a three-light window and hoodmould and a similar window in the west wall of the south aisle. North aisle has buttresses, and two-light windows. Blocked entrance with pointed arch between two west bays and a circa 1850 hearse house between the two east bays of the north chapel (of St John the Baptist). East wall of Chapel has window with three lights and hoodmould. West wall of north aisle has two-light window and hoodmould. South clerestory has three-light windows with round heads, hoodmoulds and grotesque stops. Parapet is embattled over three west bays of nave and parapet drops between nave and chancel. Nave windows of north clerestory have two lights, hoodmoulds and grotesque stops; similar windows to chancel but without hoods. The parapet is embattled above three west bays of the nave and drops slightly over west light of chancel. Two stage tower with diagonal buttresses. Ground floor west window of 1879 has three lights and hoodmould. South side has trefoil headed niche above level of clerestory and panel inscribed E:IR. Clock face on east and west sides. Belfry opening on each side has three lights, breaking into four trefoil headed lights and continuous hoodmould. Embattled parapet. Interior: nave and chancel has C15 king post roof on late C19 stone corbels. Roof of north and south aisles have wind braces decorated with flower heads, but are heavily restored. First three pillars on north and south arcades have trefoil headed niches on west side which vary in their treatment. Two piscinae in south aisle mark the position of former chapels. Some C17 and early C18 box pews in part of north aisle, with reused parts of similar pews elsewhere. C11 font in baptistry with two bands of zigzag moulding on C19 base. Three bells in tower dated 1601, 1617, and 1785.

Listing NGR: SD8940060997

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 89403 60997


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132389 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 08:46:10.

End of official listing