CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132398

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1958

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132398 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 22:03:17.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Craven (District Authority)

Parish: Clapham cum Newby

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

National Grid Reference: SD 74581 69447

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLAPHAM-CUM-NEWBY CHURCH AVENUE SD 7496 (east side) 13/2 Church of St James 20.2.58 GV II Parish church. C15 tower, rest 1814, with c1900 alterations. Slobbered rubble, stone dressings, slate roof. South porch, west tower, 4 bay nave, north and south aisles, one bay chancel. South porch, 1899, rock-faced stone, stone slate roof to gable; pointed arch with moulded surround; cruciform finial to gable. Porch blocks 1814 window, below which is entrance with basket-arched head and moulded surround; 2 leaf plank doors. West tower: 3 stage; west entrance has Tudor head, moulded surround, c1900 2 leaf plank doors, hoodmoulds. 3-light window immediately above has pointed arch, cavetto surround and Perpendicular tracery. Small trefoil headed window in second stage with cavetto surround. In bell-stage is deeply chamfered belfry opening with tracery now gone on west side, but 2-light trefoil headed on north and south. Embattled parapet and central gargoyle on each face. Diagonal buttresses. Remains of former nave wall to north and south, that on south having chamfered lancet window. Nave: pointed arched windows have continuous hood- mould. South side: left-hand window is blocked, remaining have 3-lights of c1900 tracery; vestry entrance on right-hand side; Tudor arch, moulded surround, 3 panel door; quoins of rock-faced stone, parapet and stringcourse. North side: left-hand window preserves 1814 sashes; intersecting tracery in upper sash, 35 pane lower sash; remaining windows have c1900 tracery. East end: central chancel window has 3 lights with c1900 tracery; quoined moulded surround and hoodmould. Smaller 3- light window to left and right with rectilinear tracery and hoodmoulds. Interior: north and south arcades of octagonal pillars and segmental-pointed arches. C17 panelling from C17 pews re-used as dado panelling. Present pews c1900. Church was rebuilt by Farrar family of Ingleborough Hall (qv , to whom are several memorials.



Listing NGR: SD7458169447

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 324150

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing