CHURCH OF ST EDWARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132452

Date first listed: 11-Dec-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST EDWARD, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDWARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132452 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 17:40:03.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST EDWARD, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby (District Authority)

Parish: Brotherton

National Grid Reference: SE 48211 25729

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BROTHERTON CHURCH STREET SE 42 NE (west side ) 3/7 Church of St Edward

11.12.67 II Church. 1842. By G R Pritchett & Son. Millstone grit ashlar with Welsh slate roof. West tower. 4-bay aisled nave and 2-bay chancel with aisle to nortn and single bay vestry to south. Gothic Revival style. Embattled 2-stage tower rises from nave. Diagonal buttresses with off-sets surmounted by pinnacles. 2-light bell-opening under hoodmoulds to each side. Nave: soutn side. South-doorway in embattled surround. Perpendicular windows under hoodmoulds throughout. East end: 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery under hoodmould. Interior: nave and chancel have octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches. Double-chamfered tower arch and chancel arch. 2 galleries to nave. Wall monuments. In north chancel aisle: marble baroque sarcophagus surmounted by urn to Sir John Ramsden of Byrom (sic) died 1690; to Sarah Butler died 1670 with portrait bust; to Sir John Ramsden of Byram died 1839 by Walsh and Lee of Leeds; to John Charles Ramsden died 1830 by Walsh & Dunbar of Leeds; to Robert Ramsden died 1769 by M Taylor, York. North aisle: tablet to Bradwardine Tindall died 1686. West end: to Robert Carr died 1716. Glass to east window of north aisle by Warwick, 1858. Pevsner, N, Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1979, p 149.

Listing NGR: SE4821125729

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 326063

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 149

End of official listing