This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1132493

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Bishopthorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 325952

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 5847-5947 BISHOPTHORPE CHURCH LANE (north side)

7/36 Church of St Andrew

- II

Church, 1898-1902, C Hodgson Fowler. Sandstone ashlar with plain tile roof. West tower, nave with aisles, south porch, chancel with south aisle and north vestry. Gothic Revival. 3-stage embattled tower with diagonal buttresses with offsets. 2-light bell openings to each side under hood- moulds. South porch. Pointed archway decorated with fleurons over doorway with roll-moulding to architrave, 4-bay nave. Buttresses with offsets to each bay. Straight, trefoil-headed 2-light windows to under hood-moulds to aisles and similar 3-light windows to clerestory. 2-bay chancel has to south aisle straight-headed windows with Perpendicular tracery, and to clerestory window as nave clerestory. 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery to the head to east end of south aisle. North vestry has 3-light mullion windows. 5-light east window with Perpendicular tracery to the head. Interior: octagonal piers with double-chamfered arches to nave and clustered columns to chancel.

Listing NGR: SE5950447890

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 59504 47888

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132493 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 03:37:02.

End of official listing