Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1132514

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1978

Statutory Address: GATEFORTH HALL


Ordnance survey map of GATEFORTH HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132514 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 01:25:42.


Statutory Address: GATEFORTH HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby (District Authority)

Parish: Gateforth

National Grid Reference: SE 55598 29562


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



7/35 Gateforth hall 23.8.78


Large house. 1814. For Humphrey Osbalderston. Gault brick with magnesian limestone ashlar dressings, red brick basement to left, grey slate roof and rendered stacks. Square on plan with central entrance hall and service wing to right. 2 storeys with basement to sides and rear, 3 bays of which the centre is a full-height, 3-window bow. Flight of 4 curved ashlar steps encompass bow with broad top step carrying portico of 4 giant Ionic columns supporting frieze, cornice and low parapet. Shallow plinth around bow recessed at centre to form further step to 6-panel door with fluted jambs under decorated rectangular oblong fanlight and gauged brick flat arch. To either side a tall narrow sash with glazing bars and apron under gauged brick flat arches. First floor: central sash with glazing bars and outer tall, narrow 8-pane sashes under flat arches of rubbed brick and with stone cills. All openings to bow are cambered to follow curve. Outer bays: ground floor sash with glazing bars and apron resting on plinth and first floor sash with glazing bars and stone cill all under gauged brick flat arches. Cornice and low parapet conceal hipped flat-topped roof with 4 central stacks. Some original windows to sides. Service wing: 2 storeys and 7 first floor windows, many with original sashes with glazing bars. Modillion brackets to eaves. Interior of main block has many original features. Entrance hall has coffered arch to one side. Inner full-height entrance hall has 2-storey screen of a pair of Ionic columns supporting decorative frieze and cornice at first floor from which rise a pair of Corinthian columns. Oak staircase with iron balustrade enriched by anthemion motifs. Moulded ceiling with roof light. Most 6-panel doors and fluted doorcases intact, shutters (now fixed) to most windows, marble fireplace to hall and most first floor rooms. Moulded decoration to most ground floor ceilings and master bedroom. Morrell, W. W., The History and Antiquities of Selby, Selby and London, 1867, p325. Pevsner, N., Yorkshire, the West Riding, 1979, p216.

Listing NGR: SE5559829562


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 325896

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Morrell, WW , The History and Antiquities of Selby, (1867), 325
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 216

End of official listing