This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1132542



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Selby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Nov-1980

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 325780

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LEEDS ROAD 1. (north side) 5342 ------------ Church of St Mary SE 6032 SE 3/92


2. 1854. Roman Catholic. Architect: Messrs Hanson of Bath. Built at expense of Hon Laura Maria Petre (1811-86), widow of the Hon E R Petre (1795-1848); Liberal MP for York (1832-2) and Lord of the Manor of Selby (1801-48); to accommodate the influx of Irish labourers in the Town. Hammer-dressed stone. Ashlar dressings. Pitched slate roof. Decorated style. Nave, chancel, lean-to aisles, tower over south door with broach spire and diagonal buttresses, apsidal baptistery at west end, vestry and sacristry, and a quite exceptional north-west chapel decorated internally with undressed stone in the manner of a grotto. Interior: Elaborately sculpted pulpit, contemporary font, and crocketed font cover. Three-bay arcade to west gallery. Stained glass. East window by Wailes. Window of Sacred Heart Chapel by Ball.

Listing NGR: SE6089532153

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 60895 32153


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132542 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 09:45:13.

End of official listing