AUDUS CHARITY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132576

Date first listed: 14-Nov-1980

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Sep-1981

Statutory Address: AUDUS CHARITY, 125-139 AND 143, GOWTHORPE

Map

Ordnance survey map of AUDUS CHARITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132576 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 13:21:10.

Location

Statutory Address: AUDUS CHARITY, 125-139 AND 143, GOWTHORPE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby (District Authority)

Parish: Selby

National Grid Reference: SE 60989 32170

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for GOWTHORPE (south-side) ------------ 3/35 Nos 125 to 143 (odd) (Audus charity)

the item shall be amended to read Nos 125 to 139 (odd) and No 143

------------------------------------

GOWTHORPE 1. (south side) 5342 ------------ Nos 125 to 143 (odd) (Audus Charity) SE 6032 SE 3/25

II GV

2. Summer of 1833. Built to the design of, and at the expense of, the younger James Audus (1781-1867), the prominent local philanthropist and amateur architect. Brown brick. Hipped slate roof. Three sides of a square. Two storeys. Three bays on east side, 4 on the west, and 4 plus frontispiece on south: casements with glazing bars and channelled ashlar voussoirs. Frontis- piece is carried up into low tower with crenellated parapet and crocketed pinnacles at corners: 2 moulded string courses: 2-centred arched passage entrance with crocketed ogee-headed moulding ending in elaborate finial above and masks as label stops below. Sunk ashlar plaque on first floor, inscribed "THESE HOUSES ERECTED AT THE SOLE EXPENSE OF JAMES AUDUS ESQ WERE PRESENTED TO THE FEOFFEES AND THEIR SUCCESSORS AT SELBY IN TRUST FOR PIOUS USES. THAT THE SAID HOUSES BE OCCUPIED FROM TIME TO TIME BY AGED AND INFIRM PEOPLE WITHOUT FAMILIES BELONGING TO THE PARISH TO SELBY RENT FREE. NATALIS LOCI SUI AMORIS MONUMENTUM 1833".

Listing NGR: SE6098932170

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 325756

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing