This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SELBY COLLEGE OF FURTHER EDUCATION

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SELBY COLLEGE OF FURTHER EDUCATION

List entry Number: 1132588

Location

SELBY COLLEGE OF FURTHER EDUCATION, ARMOURY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Selby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Nov-1980

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 325712

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ARMOURY ROAD 1. (west side) 5342 ------------ Selby College of Further Education SE 63 SW 9/43

II

2. 1864-5. Former Armoury. and Drill Hall. Architect: Edward Taylor of York. Builder: John Adams of Selby. Brown brick, with much yellow brick ornament. Pitched slate roof. One storey with 2-storey gabled wings. Wings have one-bay fronts and five-bay sides: segment-headed sashes with glazing bars. Front has modern windows except for central (gabled) bay, which has segment-headed carriage doors with ornamental wrought iron hinges; and 2-centred arched light in gable, with brick sub-arches and Gothick glazing bars. History: Built for the Selby Rifle Volunteers (founded 1862). Funds raised 1863. Site given by Lord Londesborough, who laid the foundation stone on 21 May 1864, and opened the building on 17 February 1865.

Listing NGR: SE6094031893

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 60940 31893

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132588 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 05:52:33.

End of official listing